04 May 2010

Toxic!


As I sit here post-run, I feel like trash. For the first time, I took on Iroqouis Park. A terrible idea. The park is a series of hills. So, for me (a non-runner) it was totally brutal. By the downhill (which should have been easy), I thought I was going to cry. I guess, I need more neighborhood running before I try to tackle the big ol' IP. I do feel better about it. I recognize that it's more important for me to get out and get active than sit down to catch up True Blood reruns. I feel better after a good (ok, toady's an exception) run or hard workout. It's an excellent stress reliever, and trust me, I have plenty of stress to go around! If for no other reason, running/walking/working out is a good opportunity for me to straight up rock out to solid jams.

Last weekend, I hosted 13 people for the Kentucky Derby. If you ever seen my apartment, it's not made of 13. However, it was a lot of fun! I loved being around some friends that I miss like crazy and some new ones too. I love that no matter the age difference, how long it's been, etc. we're the same. It's like we've never been apart. We went to Wick's Pizza for dinner. Despite the hour wait, IT WAS SO WORTH IT! Overall, it was a pretty chill weekend. I didn't go to the Derby, but next year I might. I did go to Moe's Southwest Grill (YUM!) and I got a sweet yellow hoodie from the Gap.

This week, so far has been great. I haven't been staying late after school. I get work done at school and come home for relaxation. I think that was a big problem at the beginning about the year. I'd come home and WORK for hours after working for hours at school. Not ok. I'm loving this regular teaching life now. I get to school early and do a few things, teach, plan on my planning time, stay for about an hour after to do a few things, and then enjoy my non-school life. :) It's much better that way.

I've been attending Southeast Christian Church since I've moved. Yeah, yeah, "6 Flags over Jesus". Haha. Very funny. What I love so much about it is that it's always fresh, always powerful, always moving. I love the music, sermons, and overall atmosphere. The week of April 25, the sermon was about "Joy When There's No Reason". I was absolutely beautiful and totally meant for me. Sometimes, I find myself faking joy because I feel like there is nothing to be joyful about. This sermon, changed my mind. There is ALWAYS something to be joyful about. Have a job in this economy? Be joyful. Have a loving family? Be joyful. Did you wake up this morning? Be joyful. The most poignant thing in the whole sermon was about how just when you think you can't find the joy, you have nothing left, ask God for his joy. He'll share it with you. (So right!) It was perfectly timed for my life and has given me a new attitude. I'm learning that I should live my life according to Phil 4:4-9. Such a beautiful and powerful truth from Paul. In addition, to keeping physically healthy, these words give me strength and encouragement keep spiritually and mentally healthy. No toxins allowed!

Oh Cinco de Mayo is tomorrow! Celebrate friends!
xo

1 comment:

  1. ...ahem...

    Be joyful always! *squats and points wearing denim and a bandana*

    Also, I liked that you used "poignant." No wonder you's a teacher.

    But for real though, I understand these sentiments. Sometimes when we are down in the dumps it is so hard to find any joy. But true joy is more than just happiness. Joy comes from knowing the truth in Christ Jesus! :-)

    ReplyDelete